Renovation of fire protection systems
The necessity to carry out renovation measures of fire protection infrastructure in existing buildings results mainly from the following facts:
- Hazard assessment and determination of threat posed by a specific protection object
- Amended regulation and determined deviations
- Changed requirements from technically and structurally grown structural changes in the building
- Carry out technical and constructional repair & restoration works
- Measures subject to approval planning related to a potential loss of safeguard to existing standards for existing buildings
Fire protection measures must be investigated in detail in advance with regard to the actual and possible extent.
A comprehensive analysis of the former design, permit and working documentation and the building structure is carried out and a detailed assessment of the existing situation with regard to regulatory, technical and logistical requirements is carried out on the basis of existing documents and preliminary investigations.
The task is to record and evaluate all possible influencing variables, interfaces and consequences from both the technical, planning and approval levels, in order to gain an early understanding of the costs resulting from the renovation planned.
It is also important to consider the measures which can be implemented in the context of the fire protection system in a sensible way in order to integrate the necessary repair measures that may be required in the near future. As a result, the costs can be optimized (downtime, hygienic measures, construction site equipment, etc.)
The following aspects are in our focus when preparing the fire protection concept or the fire protection planning:
- Creation of an effective fire protection - oriented to protective objects
- Patient and person safety
- Preservation of existing building structure
- Facilities safety
- Hygienic safety
- Classification of improved functional solutions into existing structures to optimize the functional quality
- Scope and term parallelism of renovation services
- Development of optimization potentials
- Creation of cost-effective planning bases comply with the relevant and valid norms and regulations
In some cases, there are no or little meaningful as-build-documents. In order to be able to apply safeguard rules for existing buildings, the gaps in the documentation must be worked up. This can, for example, be carried out by means of proof of conformity with the requirements of the legal norms and regulations at the time of production in collaboration with the manufacturer's representatives, the test engineer for fire protection and special specialists (e. g. MFPA).
During the planning and execution of the fire protection measures the requirements of the construction in the running operation and in cramped areas are often to be taken into account. In order to ensure efficient and smooth workflows during the execution, construction process technologies and construction logistics concepts are to be developed at an early stage. To ensure successful and timely implementation of the fire protection measures in a given budget, networked thinking is essential.